The Sathya Sai International Organisation (SSIO) has established an Environmental Sustainability Committee (ESC) to promote spiritual solutions to our present day environmental crisis. The SSIO implements a wide range of initiatives around the world to protect the planet, including education programmes, a Young Adults led initiative called Serve the Planet, community engagement projects, etc. There are several SSIO publications that explain the spiritual basis for addressing the environmental crisis in a sustainable and practical manner.
Go Green Conference
In July 2018, the SSIO hosted its first Go Green Conference in Prasanthi Nilayam for over 1,200 delegates from 70 countries.
The conference highlighted Sathya Sai Baba’s teachings on the unity of God, Nature and Man. Drawing from both scientific facts and Sathya Sai Baba’s spiritual lessons, an impressive array of speakers gave delegates a deep understanding of the issues at the heart of this crisis and discussed practical ways in which man can live in harmony with Nature at the personal, home and societal levels.
Nature: The Vesture of God (Go Green Conference Book) – An important book highlighting Sathya Sai Baba’s teachings and solutions to our environmental crisis, as well as the work and vision of the Sathya Sai International Organisation.
Speaker talks and videos from the Conference
- YouTube playlist with all speaker talks
- Climate Change Video
- Some of the SSIO’s environmental initiatives around the world are shown in the following video:
Summary and facilitation guides from the Study Circles conducted at the Conference
Insights from the Workshops conducted at the Conference:
- Education Workshop
- Devotion/Spiritual Workshop
- Service Workshop
- Centre Operations Workshop
- Public Outreach Workshops
Nine resolutions emerged from the conference which the organisation is now working to implement:
- Share all material from the conference with all centres and groups
- Launch a Go Green program to expand awareness and practice
- Identify national Go Green ‘Champions’ to lead efforts on the ground
- Create a global network to share resources and best practices
- Integrate Go Green into Sai Spiritual Education and Sathya Sai Education in Human Values
- Encourage Go Green conferences at the different levels of the SSIO
- Promote public outreach and the spiritual essence of Go Green
- Review and monitor progress to sustain the projects at all levels of the SSIO and give status updates.
- Encourage devotees to create their own Go Green Sadhana and spiritual practices
In addition to the conference materials and videos, the following resources can help you learn more:
Booklets on the Environment:
- Nature is the Best Teacher
- Protect the Planet
- Mother Earth Booklet - a study into the teachings of various faith traditions on the Environment
Short Informative Videos:
The following resources can help you take action at various levels - personal, at Sathya Sai Centres, and in the wider community. Click to view/download:
Check Lists – A series of checklists to assist with making events more environmentally sustainable
Serve the Planet is an initiative run by Young Adults that engages members of the SSIO and the community in practicing Sathya Sai Baba’s message on ‘Ceiling on Desires’ and caring for our environment. A range of materials, including presentations, study guides, practical tips, media and more can be accessed.
- Serve The Planet 2017 – Plastic, Water, Food
- Serve The Planet 2018 – Energy
- 108 Practical Tips for Green Living
US Sai Go Green Materials – Young Adults of the SSIO in US have compiled these useful materials:
Feel free to reach out the SSIO Environmental Sustainability Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, ideas or comments.